- Renewing is a streamlined way to get a new passport
- If you are eligible to renew, you do not need to complete a full passport application form or provide supporting documentation. If we require additional information after lodgment, we will contact you
- You will need to obtain a pre-completed renewal form from us, and lodge it together with new photos and your most recent passport
Are you eligible?
You can renew your passport if you are an Australian citizen aged 18 years or older, and you have and can present your most recent Australian passport that:
- was issued when you were 16 years of age or older, and
- was valid for at least two years when issued, and
- was issued in your current name, date of birth, place of birth and sex, and
- is current or expired less than three years ago.
You must present your most recent passport when you lodge your renewal form. This passport will be physically cancelled unless you require it in the meantime for urgent travel.
Cancelled passports cannot be used to support renewal applications. For this reason, if you have reported your last passport lost or stolen, you will not be able to obtain a renewal form from us, and you will need to use a full passport application form instead.
We require the written consent of every person who has parental responsibility before a passport can be issued to a child. For this reason, children i.e. persons under 18 years of age who have never married, cannot obtain a renewal form from us and will need to use a full passport application form instead.
Obtaining a renewal form
If you are eligible to renew, you can obtain a pre-completed renewal form using one of the three following options:
Online - log on to www.passports.gov.au and follow the steps to print a pre-completed renewal form. You can also ask online for a pre-completed form to be mailed to you.
In Australia - call the Australian Passport Information Service (APIS) on 131 232 to arrange for a pre-completed renewal form to be mailed to you.
Overseas - contact the nearest Australian diplomatic mission or consulate. The passports staff will mail a pre-completed renewal form to you, or make it available for collection. Information can be found at www.dfat.gov.au/missions/.
Lodging a renewal application
Sign the pre-completed renewal form and bring two suitable colour photos and your most recent passport. Please do not attach the photos to your application form as this can damage them if not attached correctly.
The photos must meet the requirements detailed on the form to be acceptable.
Further information on photo guidelines can be found at www.passports.gov.au.
You must lodge the renewal application in person.
In Australia - at an Australia Post outlet. To find an outlet near you which provides passport services, call Australia Post on 137 678 or visit www.auspost.com.au.
Overseas - contact the nearest Australian diplomatic mission or consulate for further details.