Australian Passport Information Service
The Australian Passport Information Service (APIS) provides a telephone information service to callers inside Australia seven days a week. When you call your questions will be answered by trained and experienced staff APIS is not a passport office.
You can contact APIS on 131 232 for the cost of a local call. Hours of Operation are (EST) 8am to 8pm weekdays and 8:30am to 5pm weekends. APIS is closed on the following national public holidays: New Year’s Day, Australia Day, Easter Monday, Good Friday, Anzac Day, Christmas Day and Boxing Day.
The service can provide information on:
- how to apply for your first Australian passport;
- how to complete the passport application form;
- where to obtain supporting documentation such as a copy of your full birth certificate;
- current passport application fees (APIS can also accept payment of priority processing and lost or stolen fees);
- where to lodge your application;
- the status of your application and how long it will take to process;
- how to renew a passport;
- how to apply for a child's passport;
- what to do if your passport is lost or stolen; and
- the number of passports you have lost or had stolen.
APIS also arranges appointments for you to lodge your passport or renewal applications at an Australian passport office if:
- you need to travel urgently because of unforeseen, compassionate reasons or other exceptional circumstances, or
- you need a travel document other than an Australian passport or a Document of Identity (DOI) for travel to Norfolk Island
If overseas please contact an Australian diplomatic or consular mission.
For any questions regarding passports, email us at email@example.com.
To comment on our services, use our feedback form. The inclusion of your telephone number may allow for a speedier response.
Freedom of Information
Freedom of Information inquiries may be made to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade website for details.
For more information see brochure Australian Passport Information Service (html) (Download PDF 231 KB)