Obtaining a new adult or child passport while overseas

Renewing your passport

Renewing your passport is a quick and streamlined way to get a new passport

You can renew your passport if:

  • you are an Australian citizen aged 18 years or over, and
  • you hold an Australian adult passport that was issued on or after 1 July 2000, or an Australian child passport that was issued when you were 16 years of age or over on or after 1 July 2005, and
  • your passport was valid for at least two years when issued, and
  • your passport was issued with your current personal details.

You can either complete your renewal form using the Renew Passport function on this website, or you can telephone APIS on 131 232 and they will forward an application form with your personal data included. If you are overseas, contact the nearest Australian diplomatic mission or consulate.

Please note that holders of children's passports cannot use the renewal form.

Applying for a new passport

If you are an Australia citizen who is applying for a new Australian passport outside of Australia, you should complete an application for an Australian Passport Overseas.

You can:

Notes for completing the new application form

Lodging your application

For advice on how to lodge, contact the nearest Australian diplomatic or consular mission.

Child applications should be lodged by a parent or person with parental responsibility for the child.  The person lodging the child's application must ALSO provide proof of identity.