International child abduction

Removing a child from Australia without the consent of a parent may constitute a criminal offence under the Australian Family Law Act 1975. The non-consenting parent may be able to seek the return of the child to Australia under the Hague Convention, a multilateral treaty that provides a legal mechanism for the return of children wrongfully removed from or retained outside their home country.

If you wish to travel overseas with your child without the child's other parent's consent, you should seek legal advice. You can locate a lawyer through the Australian Government's Access to Justice website.

If you wish to relocate overseas with your child, you should obtain the other parent's agreement in writing or seek relocation orders through the Australian Family Law Court.

For further information on child abduction, see the Attorney-General's Department website on International family law and children.