Our 5 step guide
- Step 1: Gather original documents and two passport photos
- Step 2: Ask someone to be your referee or guarantor
- Step 3: Fill in your application
- Step 4: Lodge your application and pay the fee
- Step 5: We’ll tell you when your passport is ready
Unless you qualify for a passport renewal, you will need:
- Evidence that you’re an Australian citizen
- A document that confirms your place of birth and gender
- Identity documents showing your photo, signature, and current residential address
- Documents that prove any change of name or change of gender
- All applications must include two passport-sized photos that comply with our photo guidelines.
These details will be needed to complete your application. When you lodge your application, you must bring the original documents with you.
Unless you qualify for a passport renewal, you’ll need a referee or guarantor.
Your referee or guarantor must:
- be an adult Australian citizen who has known you for more than one year, and
- cannot be any kind of relative, in a de facto relationship with you, or living at the same address as you.
Your application will require the details of your referee or guarantor’s:
- full name, and
- telephone number, and
- either Australian Passport details, or
- address as recorded on the electoral roll for the past 12 months (or professional details for overseas guarantors).
If you’re applying online and you are in Australia, you’ll need a referee. A referee doesn’t need to sign anything but must be willing to confirm your identity if we contact them.
If you are not applying online and you are in Australia, you’ll need a guarantor who must sign section 11 of your application form. Your guarantor must also endorse the back of a passport photo by writing ‘This is a true photo of [your full name]’ and signing in black pen.
The application form will tell you what documents you must bring when you lodge your printed application form.
If you cannot complete an application form online, collect a blank application form at a participating Australia Post outlet. Ask for the ‘Application for an Australian Passport’ form. For adults, the form is green.
You may need to make an appointment, which can be made by using the Australia Post online booking tool.
You must bring your printed application form, your passport photos and the original documents requested on the application checklist or form.
Please allow up to 6 weeks to receive your passport after you lodge your application.
If you’re in a hurry, we have options for urgent applications which are available only when you apply.
When your passport is ready, we’ll send you an email or SMS, depending on the contact details you provided. If you choose to receive your passport by post, it should arrive within three weeks of our email. If you choose to collect your passport, it will be ready for pick‑up from your chosen Passport Office.