My passport has some damage. Can I still use it?
Normal wear and tear should not be a problem. More serious damage can stop you from travelling. It is important that:
- There are no tears or cuts in the pages, especially the photo page.
- Everything on the photo page is legible and clear.
- There are no marks across your photo or in the Machine Readable Zone (MRZ) on the photo page.
- No pages have been removed.
- There is no alteration or tampering.
If you’re not sure about the condition of your passport, call us on 131 232 or contact your nearest Australian diplomatic or consular mission. We may need to see your passport to assess it.
I think my chip doesn’t work. What do I do?
Australian passports contain a chip with your details from the photo page. Border authorities read this information electronically at passport control.
It is unusual for a passport chip to fail. If you suspect that the chip in your passport doesn’t work, call us on 131 232, go to your nearest state or territory Australian Passport Office, or contact your nearest Australian diplomatic or consular mission.
Emergency passports do not contain a chip.