Damaged and faulty passports

You should replace your passport if it has more than reasonable wear and tear. Even minor passport damage can stop you from travelling. Damage that might require you to replace your passport includes water damage, unofficial markings on the data page, missing visa pages or tears.

It's important that:

  • there are no tears or cuts in the pages, especially the photo page
  • everything on the photo page is legible and clear
  • there are no marks across your photo or in the Machine Readable Zone (MRZ) at the bottom of the photo page
  • no pages have been removed
  • there is no alteration or tampering.

To replace or renew your damaged passport, you need to:

There’s a difference between replacing a passport and renewing a passport. To find out more and decide which one applies to you, see our replacement passport page or call us on 131 232.

If your passport is damaged and you need to travel urgently, call us on 131 232.

Faulty passport chip

Australian passports contain a chip with your details from the photo page. Border authorities read this information electronically at passport control.

It's unusual for a passport chip to fail. If you suspect that the chip in your passport doesn’t work, you can:

Emergency passports don't contain a chip.

See also: