How to consent to a child passport

Where do I sign?

There’s a place on the application form (sections 12 to 15) where you can sign to give your consent.

Each person's consent has to be witnessed.

Who can witness a consent?

The witness can’t be related to the child by birth or marriage or be in a de facto relationship with any person who has parental responsibility or lives at the same address.

The same person, or a different person, may witness the signature of each person giving consent.

The child's guarantor may witness the consent.

What if parents are in different locations?

If you can’t give consent on the application form because you’re in a different location to the parent who’s lodging the application:

  • ask for a child passport form from an Australia Post outlet or an Australian diplomatic or consular mission overseas
  • complete sections 12, 13 and 15 of the form, and
  • take the form to an Australia Post outlet, a capital city passport office (no appointment necessary) or an Australian diplomatic or consular mission overseas, or send it to the person who is lodging the application, who can then submit it on your behalf.

How do I consent on behalf of a welfare agency?

If you’re giving consent to a passport on behalf of a child welfare or protective agency, our brochure: Child Welfare or Protective Agencies: A guide to lodging child passport applications (PDF 4MB) sets out everything you need to know.

What if the child is a ward of the Immigration Minister?

If you’re giving consent to a non-citizen travel document for a child who entered Australia as an unaccompanied humanitarian minor and is under the guardianship of the Minister for Immigration, you have to complete a B3 form (PDF 628KB) to give us full details.  More information is in our brochure: Lodging Australian Travel Document Applications for Unaccompanied Humanitarian Minors - A guide for guardians (PDF 761KB).

See also: