Things to consider when applying for a child passport

02 May 2024

Give yourself plenty of time if you need to apply for a child passport and don’t have one of the following:

  • the consent of each person who has parental responsibility for the child
  • an Australian court order that permits the child to have a travel document, travel internationally, or live or spend time with a person outside Australia.

You can still lodge an application if you don’t have full consent or a relevant court order. Your application will take longer to assess as we need to decide whether you meet our special circumstances.

Find out more about applying with incomplete consent on our website.